skip to main content
placeholder for top bar


Sutter Union High School District
2665 Acacia Avenue
Sutter, CA 95982 
Phone Numbers:
Office: (530) 822-5161
Fax: (530) 822-5168

Student Work Permits

Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). It details the duties and location where the work will be done and the number of hours a student (minor) may work. 


How to Obtain a Work Permit:

Once the student has accepted a job with an employer, they may apply for a work permit by doing the following: 

  1. Print out or pick up in the Front Office Form B1-1 Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit-Certificate of age.
  2. Student: Complete Minor's Information and School Information.
  3. Parent or Legal Guardian: Sign their portion of the form.
  4. Student: Take Form B1-1 to the employer and have them complete the Employer section.
  5. Student: Return completed Form B1-1 with all signatures to Mrs. Bradbury in the Front Office. 

Once submitted, Mrs. Bradbury will verify that the student qualifies (grades, attendance, and behavior), and if so, will complete the Permit to Employ (Form B1-4), and contact the student to pick it up (within 24-48 hours). Students then take the completed Permit to Employ and Work (Form B1-4) to their employer.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with Mrs. Bradbury at (530) 822-5161 extension 201.

Important Reminders:

Important Reminders:

  • Work Permit Applications (Form B1-1) must be signed by the employer.
  • A parent or guardian must also sign the application.
  • The student's Social Security number is required to process a work permit.
  • Student ID will be verified through district records.
  • Each new job requires a new work permit.
  • Minimum 2.0 GPA required for a work permit and no F's previous Semester.
  • Summer work permits expire five days after the new school year begins.