Sutter Unon High School encourages students to dress to maintain a respectable
appearance. Students are to attend school dressed in a respectful manner so as not to offend or disrupt
student learning. Please look at the following dress code parameters and make sure your son or
daughter has read and understands all of the restrictions. If in doubt about the appropriateness of clothing, contact an administrator for clarification.
First Offense - Student will be required to change out of the inappropriate clothing. If the student has
no change of clothing, a parent will be called to bring a change of clothing or loaner clothing will be
given to the student. The inappropriate attire will be left in the office and the student can pick the attire
up after school.
Second Offense - Change clothing and detention is assigned. (If second offense is the same day as first offense = In-House suspension will be assigned.
Third Offense - One Week detention
Fourth Offense - Parent pick student up and student assigned 1 day of suspension
1. Clothing, jewelry, and body markings must be free of writing, pictures or any other insignia which is crude, vulgar, profane, sexually suggestive or which advocates racial, ethnic, sexual preference, or religious prejudice, or the use of alcohol or drugs.
2. Clothes shall be sufficient to conceal all undergarments at all times.
The following are prohibited:
• Any apparel, accessory, notebook, personal belongings or manner of grooming which, by virtue
of its color, arrangement, trademark, or other attribute, denotes membership in gangs or
other groups which advocate drug or alcohol use, violence or distruptive behavior, is prohibited.
• Tears and holes in clothing: Tears or holes in shorts are not allowed. If a student wears pants
that has tears or holes, then any tear or hole above the knee must must covered showing no skin.
• Bare midriffs
• Skirts or shorts shorter than mid thigh. (including skirt slits)
• Tank tops, dresses, shirts or blouses with low neck lines which expose the upper torso (chest or
• Tank tops, blouses or dresses with less than 1” straps
• Pajamas or sleepwear
• Spikes or chains attached to clothing
• Saggy pants or pants worn below the waiste line. Underwear may not be exposed. This includes
boxers, sports bras, bras and tank top style under shirts.
3. Hats, caps, must be worn with the bill facing forward and are not to be worn in the
classroom or other buildings (excluding the gym, locker room, or weight room.)
4. Students whose appearance is so unusual as to cause obvious distraction of other students
from the educational process.
5. For purposes of health and safety, shoes must be worn at all times.
6. Students with long hair shall be required , for reasons of safety, to provide and wear a hair net
in those classes where long hair might be a hazard or detrimental to the required performance
of the classs.
7. Reasonable rules for appearance for those who participate in extra-curricular
activities may be established and enforced.
8. Rule of Thumb: Maintain a clean, neat appearance.